Stop into Thrift House and save 25% off all blue-tagged women’s and men’s clothing and shoes. Excludes accessories and housewares.
Thanks for shopping local and remember that all proceeds go back to our community through the volunteer work of the Junior League of Evanston-North Shore.
- To make a Donation in honor of / in memory of Edith M. Burns, who was a longtime JLE-NS Sustainer, please click here. *Please note that your donation is in honor/memory of Edith M. Burns on the online donation form.
- Donations may also be made by check mailed to: JLE-NS, 620 Lincoln Avenue, Suite 209, Winnetka, IL 60093. *Please note that the donation is in honor/memory of Edith M. Burns in your check memo section.
Thank you for your continued support of the Junior League of Evanston-North Shore‘s mission to give back to the community!
Thrift House celebrated our 80 year anniversary in 2020, a milestone for any merchant. In 2016, JLE-NS remodeled the Thrift House with new features that offer a more welcoming shopping environment, an improved customer experience and a more curated selection of high-quality, gently used merchandise, including women’s clothing, men’s clothing, accessories, jewelry, housewares and home décor. To view highlights of the re-opening or photos of the new store click here.
Since opening their doors in 1940, the Thrift House has been Junior League of Evanston-North Shore’s oldest, ongoing project and continues to be a major source of revenue, raising approximately $25,000 per year to support JLE-NS’s operations and community projects.
Though times have changed, our mission of the Thrift House remains the same:
– to provide quality, used merchandise at affordable prices to a diverse community
– to increase awareness of Junior League of Evanston-North Shore’s mission
– to raise funds to support our League’s operations and community outreach programs
Goods for a greater good.
All net proceeds go directly into the community through a combination of League-sponsored volunteer projects, community grants and scholarships, and development of leadership skill of our members.
Since 2009, Thrift House has been the home of JLE-NS’s Fitting Futures, the League’s community outreach project that provides free, interview-appropriate clothing and job readiness sessions for low-income women.
The Thrift House has offered voucher programs to other non-for profit organizations, enabling clients to shop at the Thrift House at no charge.
Our community partners, including Connections for the Homeless, benefit from Thrift House by receiving our re-donations (useable items on their wish list that have been unsalable at the shop).
Something for everyone.
Whether you’re a bargain-hunter, a student on a budget, or someone who likes to shop for treasures, you’ll find constantly changing merchandise of great finds. Come in today and discover our wonderful selection of women’s and men’s clothing, accessories, jewelry, small furniture, books, home décor, housewares, and much more—all at great prices! Be sure to check out our designer area, where you will find labels such as Coach, Prada, Cole Haan, St. John, Kate Spade, and more.
Donations: (Please note that beginning May 26th, the Thrift House will not be accepting donations until further notice)
What we gladly will accept:
- New/gently used women’s clothing, shoes, purses, scarves, jewelry, coats, gloves and hats
- New/gently used men’s jeans, pants, shirts, coats, scarves and gloves
- New/gently used housewares and home décor
- New/gently used books/puzzles/games
What we cannot accept:
- Electronics including printers, monitors or computer components, cell phones, MP3 players, DVD players, VCR’s, TV’s, stereo equipment, boom boxes, and miscellaneous wires and cables
- Car seats/booster seats/highchairs
- Children’s clothing and toys
- Medical equipment including crutches, walkers and canes
- Audio/Visual including CD’s, cassette tapes, albums, DVD’s, VHS tapes,
- Outdated/broken sporting equipment
- Used Appliances including toasters, toaster ovens and coffee makers
- Hardware/Tools/Ladders/Step Stools/Extension Cords
- Used bedding/sheets, towels and sleeping bags
- CFL lightbulbs
We will accept select furniture that is like-new or gently used. We ask that you please submit a photo via email or show up in person in the store for review prior to dropping off. We cannot guarantee that we will accept furniture that has not been previously approved.
Donations are accepted during regular business hours. (Please note that beginning May 26th, the Thrift House will not be accepting donations until further notice)
Please call or email us if you have any questions regarding a donation.
Phone: (847) 328-5778
For items we cannot accept, please use the following resources:
Textile Recycling Company – USAgain – www.usagain.com
Children’s School Appropriate Clothing – Evanston School Children’s Clothing Association (ESCCA) – www.escca.org
CFL Lightbulbs – Home Depot – www.homedepot.com
Electronics/Appliances – Abt – www.abt.com
Looking to volunteer?
Thrift House needs community volunteers to come and help. Our volunteers help sort and organize donations, ensure the shopping area is organized and that items are displayed in their proper place, and assist with customers’ questions and purchases. If you are interested in volunteering at Thrift House, please complete a community volunteer application. If you have any questions about volunteering at Thrift House, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for helping us to continue serving our community.
Junior League of Evanston-North Shore Thrift House
920 Chicago Avenue
Evanston, IL 60202